Mary Beth’s Corner

Saver's Tax Credit


Most know that making eligible contributions to your IRA or employer-sponsored retirement plan may be tax deductible, but did you know that you may also be eligible for a tax credit? 

Read below for details on who is eligible, the tax credit amount and a breakdown of contribution percentages against your respective Adjusted Gross Income (AGI).

Who Is Eligible?

You’re eligible to take a tax credit if you meet the following criteria: 

  • Ages 18 or older
  • Not claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return 
  • Not a student 


You qualify as a student if during any part of the 5 calendar months of the tax year you:

  • Were enrolled as a full-time student at a school
  • Took a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school or a state, county, or local government agency.


*A school includes technical, trade, and mechanical schools. It does not include on-the-job training courses, correspondence schools, or schools offering courses only through the Internet.*

Your AGI reported on your 1040 Form series return determines if the credit amount is 50%, 20% or 10% of: 

  • Contributions you make to a traditional or Roth IRA,
  • Elective salary deferral contributions to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457(b), SARSEP, or SIMPLE plan,
  • Voluntary after-tax employee contributions made to a qualified retirement plan (including the federal Thrift Savings Plan) or 403(b) plan,
  • Contributions to a 501(c)(18)(D) plan, or
  • Contributions made to an Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) account for which you are the designated beneficiary (beginning in 2018).

The saver’s credit is a nonrefundable federal income tax credit available to individuals with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of less than $73,000. Salary-deferral contributions to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457(b), SIMPLE IRA, and SAR SEP can reduce an individual’s AGI, creating Saver’s Tax Credit eligibility. 

The credit is available for contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA, rollover contributions do not qualify for the tax credit. The maximum annual contribution eligible for the credit is $2,000 ($4,000 if married filing jointly), and the maximum credit is 50%, making the maximum saver’s credit $1,000 ($2,000 if married filing jointly).

Use the chart below or click here to calculate your credit.

For more information visit the IRS website or contact your plan administrator.



Looking For A Topic We Haven’t Covered? Let Us Know!

Ask Our Experts

Your retirement plan questions answered, in plain English, by an expert. Use the form below to ask our retirement plan experts your question.